Brake Shudder

Your technical questions and comments that are related to all ZX-9R models

Moderators: RAFlyer, Steve-TC1, yorkie, tangosevern

peasngravie
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Brake Shudder

Post by peasngravie »

My Front Brake shudder's when i brake really hard - Just initially then it dies off as i keep Braking, No pulsing at the lever and there is sometimes a bit of a click from the front.

Can i suspect the Headrace Bearings first or am i panicking too much, The Steering action seems to be OK but would it be that noticeable?

Bike has sat around for last 4 yrs with hardly any use and the brake discs are slightly pitted/old pads.

Any suggestions?

ZX9Rob
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Re: Brake Shudder

Post by ZX9Rob »

I'd start with the discs and pads first, always best to try the easy jobs.

Torque will be along later, he'll have a better idea.

Rob

If Offence can be taken. It Will !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Life is way too short and not a dress rehearsal. Ride free and live the dream.
peasngravie
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by peasngravie »

Cheers, will try Pads but am reluctant to try discs until i know its gonna be them as they're not cheap and they would simply have to be wavey ones.

Help Torque Please???

ZX9RADY
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by ZX9RADY »

to see if its ure head set bearings jack ure bike up under the sump u will need someone to help you with this just to be safe.then u can take all the weight off the front end. you will be able to see any movement in the headset.once off the floor.

you sometimes get a click from the discs as they r cool when not ridden and warm up with braking the rivets mite be a little worn on ure hub/disc connection.
and you may want to check the pins that hold the pads in these wear down easily and can cause the clicking.

i would prob say its the pinsmyself. as i had the same problem.

peasngravie
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by peasngravie »

Will replace the pads and discs very soon and check the pins then. Now.....did i see a post on here talking about somekind of fancy stainless pins??????

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

as above , loose head bearings , worn disk bobbins , warped disk

peasngravie
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by peasngravie »

Cheers Torque will try all that at the weekend, how do i check the disc bobbins? if they are loose will it be enough to see some movement?
also for the pins in the calipers is that just a visual thing checkwise?

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

There may be some minor movement/play in the bobbins but you don't want too much ,
grab the disk at 3 oclock and 25 to and sharply pull the disk forwards [ bike in gear] towards the front off the bike then backwards you should see any movement on the bobbins by doing this , a tiny bit of movement is ok but if theres a deffinate backwards and forwards movement of the disk then it's time for new bobbins or new disk

pins is just visual , clean up and copper grease while your there

it's also worth checking your fork bushes while checking head bearings ect as i've heard of cs wearing these
, fork seal dust cap lifted , front wheel against wall , push and look for gap appearing

ZX9RADY
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by ZX9RADY »

when uve got the front wheel off the ground just spin the wheel and apply the front brake u will see movement in the pads.

peasngravie
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by peasngravie »

seems to be no-play in the head bearings and about nearly 1mm of play in at least one brake pad. Do you guys think thats me answered my question's

at that level of play will i need new pins yeah?

i dont even need to apply the brakes Ady they move just spinning the wheel back and forth.

ZX9RADY
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by ZX9RADY »

replace the pins n that should solve ure problem of at least the clickin:D

peasngravie
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by peasngravie »

Got some new brakepads today its those armstrong HH ones. Couldnt help but notice the hole for the pin in the pad is oval (Longer from top to bottom) so if the pins round surely that would be where the play is coming from and assuming all pads holes are the same, i'm confused!!

Still not that bothered though i will get it by process of elimination and solve the shudder, while im at it i'll bleed the brakes.

Never done it before, should i use some kind of pump or just learn to do it without a pump. i pretty much understand the methods already just dont know how hard it will be!

peasngravie
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by peasngravie »

after the weekend i have had can anyone tell me how to pull seized pitons from barke calipers...easily

Half of the pistons were seized and are now clean apart from a couple which i couldnt get out. Had to split calipers and put them back together to rebleed and pump out more pistons still a couple to do but had to put the brakes back together for the work run.

Brakes are much more linear already and the new pads seem OK but the pads that were in were sh1t so i dont know how good the brakes should be!!

Just about every piston pumped out the dust seal with it but they were all still round so i rubber greased and put back in..

Lube me up - I'm coming through!
peasngravie
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by peasngravie »

Just for info i got some new tyres fitted today and got the shop to check disc bobbins, head bearings, fork bushes and all are fine. the guy reconed it was cos my front tyre was so unevenly worn that it was happeing...and it seems to be beter.

Ady he said my pads move up and down and that is what the clicking was i was hearing so you were right.

cheers guys for the help.

Lube me up - I'm coming through!
Zobbo
Just arrived

Post by Zobbo »

The front pistons are notorious for seizing in, especially if you ride in all weather. Kawasaki reccomend you renew the seals regularly but they're not cheap, £95 a side at our local dealer. Easiest way I've found to move them is by blocking the free ones within the caliper, a block of wood works, and then pump the stuck one, if possible, with the brake lever. I also have some small narrow G clamps that I can use on individual pistons. They can be a bastard to bleed when you disassemble the whole caliper, did it the last 9B4, and it took hours to get them back as they were before the service.
I've tried the Armstrong HH pads as well, cheaper but NOT impressed. Also now have snatching etc.. :evil: :evil: :evil: