how to lower the bike, using vortex lowering link?

ALL your B model questions, technical and otherwise answered

Moderators: RAFlyer, Steve-TC1, yorkie, tangosevern

ttvegas2002
Just arrived

how to lower the bike, using vortex lowering link?

Post by ttvegas2002 »

Hi guys, can anyone help me how to lower my bike down, i bought an vortex lowering link and I need some instruction on how to install them. Thanks in advance.

Gordy Crazyjambo
The Tubster

Re: how to lower the bike, using vortex lowering link?

Post by Gordy Crazyjambo »

Not sure what that is mate but if its a set of dog bones then its just a straight replacement.Take old ones off and fit new ones for lower ride height :D

STOP FECKIN TALKING AND GET THE DRINKS IN EH?

yorkie
Ninjaneer

Post by yorkie »

bobtheimp
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by bobtheimp »

If they are replacement "dogbones" then they are easy enough to fit - you just need to take the weight off of the suspension - use a jack under the engine or an Abba stand if possible.
You will probably need to remove the exhaust link pip as the bolts slide out from the RHS and will foul the pipe if you leave it in place. I'd also recoemmend removing the fairing lowers - otherewise you'll find when you jack the bike up the fairing is in the way of the bolt, and you['ll end up bending it - which is not nice.

Then it's just a case of unbolting the existing linkage (2 bolts) and replacing with the new ones.

I would check to see what coating (if any) is on the replacement dogbones - some (most) come as plain steel which will need coating with something before installation otherwise they'll end up very rusty very quickly.
I had my replacements powdercoated black - look very nice :D

The whole job shouldn't take more than half an hour, depending on how you get the bike jacked up.

ttvegas2002
Just arrived

Post by ttvegas2002 »

Thanks guys, I got my bike lowered. Using Vortex lowering link, pretty easy to put it in i say.
One other question since I lowered my rear, should I lower the front as well?

Gordy Crazyjambo
The Tubster

Post by Gordy Crazyjambo »

Try the ride first mate and see how she handles first.If you lower the front she will turn in quicker to corners etc which makes for beter fun on twisty roads but its not for everyone so see how she feels and take it from there ok?

STOP FECKIN TALKING AND GET THE DRINKS IN EH?

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

One other question since I lowered my rear, should I lower the front as well?
Yes i would ,
you need to try and keep the bike's posture as close to std as possible ,
as you've lowerd the rear the rake at the front has now increased , you need to drop the front slightly to try and reduce that increased rake back to std

Exagerated explanation , As things stand at the moment you basicly have a chopped zx9r [low at the back high at the front with raked out forks ]

Make 10mm at a time adjustments to start with [pull the forks up through the yokes by 10mm ] , test ride each adjustment ,
once the bike feels a bit flighty on the front make 5mm adjustments backwards ,
There's no magic number here , it's about what feels right to you

bobtheimp
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by bobtheimp »

4mm is the most you can drop the forks before the adjusters foul the fairing brace - unless you wind the adjusters in fully - but that will upset the handling...

Is there a reason you wanted to lower the bike? It'll certainly play havoc with the handling, unless you plan on getting the suspension reworked to suit.

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

hmmm well if that's the case there's not a lot he can do ,

fit a harris like fairing brace that goes from the center steering stem nut or fit the shorter zx7r forks maybe :?

How much did you lower the back :?:

ttvegas2002
Just arrived

Post by ttvegas2002 »

I used the vortex lowering link, which has 3 holes, I used the middle hole. I think is 1.5". I'm 5'5" with the original setting I can't even tip toes on both side. Since I lowered the bike I can tip toes now.. I just want to make sure that I lowered the rear and leave the front as it, is it going to mess up the fork?

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

It won't damage the fork itself , but it will mess up the handling , the bike won't turn as quickly set up as it is now ,

if you feel it's ok as it is then leave it , but if you start having trouble getting the bike to turn fast enough , you'll need to sort a way of getting the front lowerd

something like these screen braceswould solve the problem of the fork tops hitting the screen brace , this company doesnt make one for the B model but i'm sure there must be somwere that does them [or have one made]

DAVE.
Privateer
Privateer

Post by DAVE. »

be carefull with ground clearance when cranked over if youve lowered it.

a470jason
BSB Rider
BSB Rider

Post by a470jason »

just a thought , have you considered cutting the seat down rather than using lowering kits which are screwing up the handling? :!:

got a new bike yippee
zx-9r C1

dt175mx, xl185, lambretta sx200,variety of vespas, suzuki gsx250, zx9rb4, zx10re8f, zrx1100c4, z1000b7f, zx9re1, h***a firestorm, ZX9R C1
ttvegas2002
Just arrived

Post by ttvegas2002 »

shaving the seat is just not enough for my height, I'm 5'5". I thought about it but just not enough, I still have to had one leg on the brake and the other tip toe on the ground, pretty sad to see it.