Running in ..

ALL your E model questions, technical and otherwise answered

Moderators: RAFlyer, Steve-TC1, yorkie, tangosevern

NAZX-9
Just arrived

Running in ..

Post by NAZX-9 »

Folks,

I've just had a top overhaul on my bike.. changing the pistons and its rings..block is the same old

How do I do this? I meant, I need to run in and all right?

Any advise much appreciated please..

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Re: Running in ..

Post by Steve-TC1 »

There's many many diffrent thoughts on this one , from just go to full revs from the first mile to staying within the origional running in sequence

if your on the old used bores [cylinder liners ] then just do a hundred or so miles below 5000rpm and that's it , [change your oil after 1000miles]

if your old bores were rebored or replated [depending on model] then firstly make sure you don't have fully synthetic oil in , and run in at below 5000 rpm for around 500 miles , change your oil [you can use fully synthetic now if you want ] and up the revs to 8000rpm until 750miles then you can use full revs

NAZX-9
Just arrived

Post by NAZX-9 »

Thanks Torque for the god (no pun intended) reply!

Sorry for being daft, just to be sure...

After the first 100miles (160km), I can use the whole RPM range? Or do I increase it gradually ever 100 miles or something?

Also, the oils. What do I use for the first 1000 miles? Minerals? Or can I just go ahead with ful-syn?

redonesarefaster
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by redonesarefaster »

Its a strange one this. Personally id run it in the way torque said but my mate ran his brand new R1 in at Negaro race circuit :D Its one of the sweetest motors Ive ever ridden.

thinkgreen
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by thinkgreen »

i know its not related to bikes. my car has no runin period and its fist servis is at 20000 mile or 1 year i even ask dealer if there was a rev range to stick to for a few mile he told me to just get in n drive it :?

but like above ive alway run bikes in like that but also have knowen peps to just thrash ther bikes and have no prob. the one thing i feel is important is the oil changes

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

After the first 100miles (160km), I can use the whole RPM range? Or do I increase it gradually ever 100 miles or something?
ok i'm taking it your on old bores so ye 100 miles under 5000 revs [oil type shouldn't matter] then whatever revs you like

i know its not related to bikes. my car has no runin period and its fist servis is at 20000 mile or 1 year i even ask dealer if there was a rev range to stick to for a few mile he told me to just get in n drive it
cars have less tight tolerances on the piston to bores and a cars red line is close to the running in revs of a bike [5000rpm ish ]

thinkgreen
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by thinkgreen »

i see that makes sence :)

NAZX-9
Just arrived

Post by NAZX-9 »

Thanks!!