k-tech compression screws

Guides on all things big and small

Moderators: RAFlyer, Steve-TC1, yorkie, tangosevern

thinkgreen
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by thinkgreen »

I've put this in here as didn't know where to.

Well I went to strip my forks on me c2 and hay the compression screw is seized :( . I have heard a few of you have had a prob with them as well.
Anyway I rang a company called k-tech and they do a replacement screw kit for my bike at a cost of £71.68 inc postage.
I ordered some and I will post how hard or easy they are to fit, as it looks like it could be a pain. But if works could be the cheaper option.

There tel No is 01530810625

and the part no is 20k-fcv-kyb1. and that's for a c2 mod.

thinkgreen
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Re: k-tech compression screws

Post by thinkgreen »

well i have both the damper adjusters out. wasn't as hard as i first thought.
there is no thred left on the seased one but not sure if that happened getting it out. but can't see why it was so stuck?, unless it was the rubber washer that swells or sumit. and there was no damage to the thread on the fork lower.
will have to wait till new kit comes next week to see how easy that is to fit.
here is a pic damaged adjuster one on left good one on right. will post a pic of new kit when i get it.

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

8) 8) 8) That's the hard bit done then :D Did k tech say those are just coppies of the std adjuster or a modded version :?:

thinkgreen
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by thinkgreen »

from what they was saying its a mod, so could be better that original. eather way its got to be better than trying to sorce a decent set of forks. got wonded in the process though a nice cut on me forhead about half a cm long :lol:

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

:lol: :lol: Should be better i reckon , k tech know what there doing and maxton says too much compression is one of the zx9rs weaknesses

thinkgreen
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by thinkgreen »

well if it dose make it better i mite even do the top caps

thinkgreen
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by thinkgreen »

well all fitted was well easy just bolt on. and i would say they are an upgrade miles better than were in there.

and here are them fitted

k-tech compression screws  k-tech compression screws

well just got to put forks bake on bike and then have a test ride. i expect them to make ride better but as ive upgraded the springs as well think it will be difficult to tell. but hay its better than trying to get hold of another decent set of forks

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

intresting , let us know how they feel 8) 8)

redonesarefaster
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by redonesarefaster »

Dont want to piss on your fire here thinkgreen, but these only adjust the level of damping not the rate. To do that you have to change the valves inside the fork.

When people say standard forks have poor damping they are on about the damping characteristics. What you have there will most likely give you a greater range of damping in terms of more clicks but thats all, the damping characteristics will stay the same.

They do look good though, and as you said, possibly cheaper than buying new forks which might not have been in better condition to yours.

Good luck with them, a greater range of damping over the original can only be better.

Any benefit you get will be from the new springs and fresh oil

thinkgreen
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by thinkgreen »

the springs were the original plan all the adjusters are a get out of jail for £70 :lol: but they are alot better made and there is a valve system on them whitch the originals didn't. i only want to stop the front of bike diving so much so they can only help with that. but what ever they do/don't do it got me out of a hole

thinkgreen
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by thinkgreen »

well been out on bike and what a differance dosn't squot under hard exelleration and don't dive when braking and now holds it line better in corners. as for the adjusters most prob help somewhere along the line. what i do know is i can feel the change on the front when i move them around i never had that with the originals. all in all don't think i would have replaced them if i didn't have to. but think there better and most prob cheeper option than trying to get another decent set of forks+ don't think i will have the same prob with the seasing as did in the first place.

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

phosgen
Just arrived

Post by phosgen »

Can some one tell me how to get that old one out? There is no screw... also how to fix the new one? My adjuster is damaged
:(