The old C2, 3rd gear problem.......

ALL your C model questions, technical and otherwise answered

Moderators: RAFlyer, Steve-TC1, yorkie, tangosevern

woodster999
Just arrived

The old C2, 3rd gear problem.......

Post by woodster999 »

GUTTED....
My gorgeous C2, have developed the common 'jump out of 3rd, ito 2nd' problem....
I have researched this and followed all the relevant links supplied by this site. And to be honest i do not have time, nor the cleverness to tackle this problem myself.
Took it to my local dealer, who imformed me the scale of this job is huge, and that he would have to turn the bike upside etc etc, and gave an approx price (alot)...
Please could you guys, help out with an estimate so i could tackle other dealers...
or push me in the right direction of a good mechanic?
Many thanks
Woody

redonesarefaster
Mechanic
Mechanic

Re: The old C2, 3rd gear problem.......

Post by redonesarefaster »

In the process of overhauling my gearbox as we speak.

The engine has to come out of the frame because you have to separate the crankcase halves. Its easy work to do yourself just very time consuming. My local bike shop quoted 10 to 12 hours labour on a good day with no problems which puts it around the £400 for labour alone. Ive had to change the selector drum, one selector fork and 2 gears along with all the seals and gaskets you need and had to pay £330 in parts :shock: Thats a minimun of £730 when I can get a replacement engine for £500.

I decided to do the work myself because im competent with things like this (its prety much my trade at work and I have access to a hydraulic ramp and own good tools.) and it saved a fortune. The one thing I did notice though is it took me the 10 hours to strip it down, never mind the rebuild but I was taking it slow and careful with plenty of coffee and biscuit breaks. It realy isnt that bad but if your not sure, you would be better off letting them do it. To save in labour costs, do as much as you can yourself (fairings etc.) and if you can drop the engine yourself and take them that then excelent.

You will find the dogs and dog holes are worn in your case so you will likely need 2 gears as well, 3rd and whatever gear it engages with, cant remember off the top of my head. You will also be better off changing any selector forks that are worn while you are in there.

You will probarbly get people telling you its just a selector fork but i doubt it. The C model gearbox is weak by design. The dogs only engage 1mm in some gears which isnt a lot of surface area so it wears them down causing it to jump out of gear. Seen the damage in mine. This issue was resolved with the E model which has a better engagement and undercut dogs so kawasaki knew about it :evil:

Because its a design fault, I wouldnt advise getting C model 2nd hand bits either because chances are the replacements arent much better. If you do get a chance though, you can fit the E model gearbox as a complete assembly but they arent easy to get hold of (people just dont want to split an engine for spares when they can get £500 for it complete).

Whatever you decide, good luck. Its an expensive business biking!

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

Chuck an e/f motor in , it's probably cheaper and will last longer

GRAB
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by GRAB »

Is that possible. My gearbox went south last year.

I had an F model Engine but I was told it would never fit ( so I stuck with the c model)

I know I'm going to have my nine forever so it's going to happen again.

Steve-TC1
Top Cat

Post by Steve-TC1 »

Ye ye can, it's possible ,
i know of a couple of c/e model combo's and the only diffrence with the f model engine is it uses the mounting points on front of the cylinder head , you don't need these use the mounting points on the back of the cylinders like cs/es [fs use es cylinders so mounts are still there]

you do need a full motor for this including exhaust , loom, and cdi , you may get away with your c model carbs [it is poss to use the c's exhaust also but e's fs fit better ] your clocks need wiring to suite the new looms connector block also

another option is if using an e model engine , use your c model rotor , and exhaust cam [this has the cam sensor on, or you can drill and place sensor into the end of the e model cam ] then no need for changing loom or altering clock wires

GRAB
Mechanic
Mechanic

Post by GRAB »

Bloody hel, I wish I'd known you lot then, I had a mint engine Bugger

Well it will happen again I guess so I know what to do next time LOL

ipswich9r
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by ipswich9r »

is it true you can put a e gearbox in a c as well ???