Michelin Pilot road Ct's
1%

Total votes: 78

Alex
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Re: Which Tyre

Post by Alex »

I now got the Metzler M1 running 36/39 psi and I don't feel as confident with the bike.
I'll go along with that, I had then on my E1 when I bought it and thought they weren't a patch on my old 014's.
Not used Pirelli's as yet but most people rate them. I would def have bridgestones again.

ckleanth
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by ckleanth »

Alexn5454 wrote:
I now got the Metzler M1 running 36/39 psi and I don't feel as confident with the bike.
I'll go along with that, I had then on my E1 when I bought it and thought they weren't a patch on my old 014's.
Not used Pirelli's as yet but most people rate them. I would def have bridgestones again.
I finally managed to get some grip off the Metzler's halfway though the life of the rear tire.. not a happy customer as they still require a lot of time for warmup..
Next will possibly be one of the Michelin range ... preferably Pilot Power's, however I would like to try the Avon Storm, Avon Viper Sport and the Avon Viper superport . any volunteers?

Even if I have heard good comments for the Bridgestone's I am still not one of their fans.. :roll:

H###A Pippit! aka White Angels of Dartmoor

You bloody cheeeeeeeeets you!!

http://www.youtube.com/ckleanth
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id ... rk=tab_pro
Mr.T
BSB Rider
BSB Rider

Post by Mr.T »

metzelers take a while to warm up ??????????????? must be somin wrong wwith your tyres or your riding matey.
ive been straight out on a track on cold metzies and they are about the best ive had for grip,and as for warming up the warm up real quick.
somin not rite there !!!!!

green one`s are faster!!
mikelehan
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by mikelehan »

Diablo Corsas... was a 207 man before I tried these and they are the very good

Alex
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by Alex »

must be somin wrong wwith your tyres or your riding matey.

I think that tyre choice is very a personal thing. Some tyres work well with some people and not very well with others. There are also so many other factors to rake into account, tyre pressures, ride height, fork set up, the list goes on and on.

It's nice to get other peoples opinions about tyres and pads etc, that's part of what a forum is for, but to make a sweeping statement about someones riding doesn't strike me as particularly helpfull and gets right on my nerves, to be honest.

I have my own opinions about which road tyres I think work well for me, and although I dont agree with some riders on the forum, it's nice to hear what they have to say. At the end of the day, it's what you feel confident with, and sometimes that means trial and error to find the right tyres to suit you and your bike. If there was one tyre that was the best, we'd all be riding on them.

Metzelers for me were rubbish on my E1, 014's were very good on my C1, 207's were crap on my E1 but great on my SV1000, but this is only my opinion, and I'm not going to say that there must be something wrong with your riding if you like or dislike a tyre that I dont.

Lets have more opinions, info and help, and less of this kind of B******s.

889R
Cheeta
Cheeta

Post by 889R »

I think a pair are due very soon i got in last night and did struggle a bit with ruts in the road surface pulling me about,,the front is pretty shot and the rear is still good for another thousand..

I must say ive had all sorts of tyres and makes ,i really have never noticed any grip problems,but then i do have chicken strips so maybe ive never been over the limit ,,,who can say .

Ive got battleaxe bt 014 and really havnt been that impressed wth them,,in fact the rear has never been what i call stable,,just my findings dont wanna start a row.

So i dont really know what ime going for,so ill fone mitchedever tyres to mo and ask for the cheapest tyres and go from there,,,cud be interesting ,,i'll keep you posted ..

whoosh we gone , dont wait up.

BSA trials bantem, corgi 90cc, james autocycle 90cc,velocette 350cc 350 dragonfly, norton dommi 88 500cc ,bsa a10 500cc, matchless 350, red panther 250 cc scott 600cc ,bsa lightening 750cc sp370 tiger 100 500cc ,norton 650 ss,super dream250 H###A ,greeves silverstone ,greeves challenger ,ty 180 ,montessa 250 trials ,velocette ktt racer . vespa 150 scoot,guzzi 850 le mans ,duke900ss,duke 916,zx9r ,zzr14,zed1000. 2000 zx9 ninja,zzr1400.z1000, vfr800,Norton dommi 99 600cc..
mikelehan
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by mikelehan »

Alexn5454 wrote:I think that tyre choice is very a personal thing. Some tyres work well with some people and not very well with others. There are also so many other factors to rake into account, tyre pressures, ride height, fork set up, the list goes on and on.

It's nice to get other peoples opinions about tyres and pads etc, that's part of what a forum is for, but to make a sweeping statement about someones riding doesn't strike me as particularly helpfull and gets right on my nerves, to be honest.

I have my own opinions about which road tyres I think work well for me, and although I dont agree with some riders on the forum, it's nice to hear what they have to say. At the end of the day, it's what you feel confident with, and sometimes that means trial and error to find the right tyres to suit you and your bike. If there was one tyre that was the best, we'd all be riding on them.

Metzelers for me were rubbish on my E1, 014's were very good on my C1, 207's were crap on my E1 but great on my SV1000, but this is only my opinion, and I'm not going to say that there must be something wrong with your riding if you like or dislike a tyre that I dont.

Lets have more opinions, info and help, and less of this kind of B******s.
Dude don't fall out your pram, it was only a comment and he actually has a valid point. Some tyres can be faulty..known fact wrong compound put in moulds etc...

TV series I did in 2005, Chris Valentine from Dunlop confirmed they had put a wet weather compound in a slick mould and then sent a rider out ona dry track on it. He also said it happens at the factory, sometimes an error can be made and this affects the handling of the tyre....

Just my OPINION :)

Mr.T
BSB Rider
BSB Rider

Post by Mr.T »

sweeping statement ??? no just an observation pal, metzies are as good as it gets for grip,did you know they are the control tyre in the superstock championship?
the only time a metzeler would give you cause for concern is in the damp/wet and to be fair unless you ride hard they square of real quick wich make your tyre look like a car tyre which dosnt help handling.
so as above mate get back in your pram and stop reading things out of context.
and as mike stated faulty tyres do get sold to the public at times

green one`s are faster!!
Alex
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by Alex »

Dude don't fall out your pram,
I wont, it has Bridgestones on. :D

My comments were probably more down to bike withdrawal than anything else, having just sold mine, and I dont want to upset anyone, however, I do get the impression sometimes, that those of us that just ride our bikes on britains roads, to and from our crappy jobs, come rain or shine, and the occasional jolly at the weekend are looked on as not particularly in the know or in same league as those that do regular trackdays or whatever.

Valid point about the tyre, I accept that, but perhaps not so valid to say there's something wrong with the way you ride your bike if you think a particular brand of tyre is not to your liking. That was the point I should have made, perhaps a little more articulately than I did.

ckleanth
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by ckleanth »

dunno if the M1's I got are faulty, all I'm saying I don't like the particular pair I got at the moment on my bike. there is grip now on my tyres but in order to get it I scrubbed almost half of the rear tyre in the midlands, cumbria and wales countryside....

To tell you the truth I think that the only way you can tell the performance of a tyre is on a track and not on public roads. And there ain't much difference for tyres aimed to be used on public roads (supersports category) no matter what they cost/who makes em... the differences are minor and are well above the capability's of a normal rider using a bike on public roads. Furthermore the cost of the tyre represents 75% the brand and 25% the cost of the actual tyre, and if you ask me I believe the tyre you fit on your bike should be an "what makes you feel safe and comfortable" exercise rather than choosing brands, costs, reviews etc.

Last I don't think there is a great difference on grip for any top of the range tyre of any respectable company, thus you can pay lets say 210 quid to get a Michelin powers 2ct and 160 to get the the avon vipers, I would buy the vipers

;)

H###A Pippit! aka White Angels of Dartmoor

You bloody cheeeeeeeeets you!!

http://www.youtube.com/ckleanth
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id ... rk=tab_pro
889R
Cheeta
Cheeta

Post by 889R »

[quote="ckleanth"]dunno if the M1's I got are faulty, all I'm saying I don't like the particular pair I got at the moment on my bike. there is grip now on my tyres but in order to get it I scrubbed almost half of the rear tyre in the midlands, cumbria and wales countryside....

To tell you the truth I think that the only way you can tell the performance of a tyre is on a track and not on public roads. And there ain't much difference for tyres aimed to be used on public roads (supersports category) no matter what they cost/who makes em... the differences are minor and are well above the capability's of a normal rider using a bike on public roads. Furthermore the cost of the tyre represents 75% the brand and 25% the cost of the actual tyre, and if you ask me I believe the tyre you fit on your bike should be an "what makes you feel safe and comfortable" exercise rather than choosing brands, costs, reviews etc.

Last I don't think there is a great difference on grip for any top of the range tyre of any respectable company, thus you can pay lets say 210 quid to get a Michelin powers 2ct and 160 to get the the avon vipers, I would buy the vipers

;)[/quote]

Ive got to say i agree with all this ,some times i wonder if their really is much difference in the grip,,my van tyres are twice as big as a bike tyre ,they are designed to carry 3,500 kilos at speeds up to 70 mph.

They are khumos and the rears go on for well over 100,000 miles ,ive never had and skids or bad moments in over twenty years ,,they cost £48 fitted incl vat take off the vat and the dealers mark up then the tyre firms profit ,what do they cost to make then ? about £20 i think ...

Ive just re read this post ,its front wheel drive and the fronts are good for about 40,000 miles

BSA trials bantem, corgi 90cc, james autocycle 90cc,velocette 350cc 350 dragonfly, norton dommi 88 500cc ,bsa a10 500cc, matchless 350, red panther 250 cc scott 600cc ,bsa lightening 750cc sp370 tiger 100 500cc ,norton 650 ss,super dream250 H###A ,greeves silverstone ,greeves challenger ,ty 180 ,montessa 250 trials ,velocette ktt racer . vespa 150 scoot,guzzi 850 le mans ,duke900ss,duke 916,zx9r ,zzr14,zed1000. 2000 zx9 ninja,zzr1400.z1000, vfr800,Norton dommi 99 600cc..
Niner Nick
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by Niner Nick »

889R wrote:......Ive just re read this post ,its front wheel drive and the fronts are good for about 40,000 miles
Too much wheelspinning then!! ;)
A few of us wrote:Sometimes manufacturers put the wrong compound in the mould...
That's worrying really. We're paying silly prices for 'quality' makes such as michelins, bridgestones etc.. And they can't even put the right compound in the machine... :doubt:
I don't fancy buying a 'Friday afternoon' tyre if that's the case.

Generally though, I think most sticky tyres will have plenty of grip for most of us. It IS down to how we ride. So many factors involved. You'll probably find that once we have one poor days riding on a new tyre, we always assume that tyre will be useless for the rest of it's road life.
I personally have 014's on. Scrubbed in now about 250 miles worth and they do feel lovely and warm after a ride. Feel very stable for me too. Confidence.
I had 056's before, the original one Mr. Kwak put on in his factory. They were very good, profile slightly different.
Road riding should be safe enough for almost all sticky tyres. We all go a bit mental on occasions, mind! :roll:

Four - Four - Four, the number of the beast!
hey9r
Arthur Scargill
Arthur Scargill

Post by hey9r »

We do pay silly money for tyres so they can pay for racing and development.

Would you really want to go back to Avon Roadrunners??

I for one wouldn't.

It ain't over till your in deep!

"It's only a sport if you use a ball. It's a REAL sport if you use 2!"

Get on 2 wheels... and if you think you're good, get on 1!"
889R
Cheeta
Cheeta

Post by 889R »

What we really want is GROUNDHOGS nothing to do with hardly davidsons............ :x

889R
Cheeta
Cheeta

Post by 889R »

Why not go look on AVON TYRES SITE look for the avon storm ,,,and read what they say about it .

It makes interesting reading...it under sports tourer and thats what i am ..