Returning an insurance write-off motorcycle to the road (UK)

Your general motorcycle talk forum - rides, things, places, happenings, etc,...

Moderators: RAFlyer, Steve-TC1, yorkie, tangosevern

e1_ZX-9r
Admin
Location: Blackfoot, ID: 50-state CA EVAP ZX-9R sE1.5*, sE1* (GKF), & sF1* models; * Supercruise capable

Returning an insurance write-off motorcycle to the road (UK)

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

Insurance, Tax, and Legal.
Kawasaki ZX-9R write off
https://ridershandbook.com/insurance-ta ... -the-road/

There’s a lot of missinformation out there when it comes to returning a written off motorcycle to the road. Part of the reason why, is that the rules for cars and motorcycles are different.

Unsurprisingly, motorbike forums and websites are full of half truths and hearsay, and unfortunately the gov.uk and VOSA websites don’t offer much information. To set the record straight, we got in touch with VOSA for the definitive low-down. Here’s what they had to say:
  • It is firstly important to note that write off categories are not immutable rules but rather the opinions of those assessors inspecting the vehicle. Therefore it is entirely possible for a category C write off from one provider could be a category B from another. Taken that into account to return a written off motorcycle to the road requires only that the vehicle be repaired to a road worthy standard.
  • Some insurance providers require a new MOT be conducted but this is purely their own company policy and not national law any pre-existing MOT remains valid regardless of a write off.
  • A scheme called the Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) operates in regard to written off cars where they have to have their identity confirmed after a write off. However this inspection does not apply to motorcycles and even for cars in non-statutory (i.e. the car can still be used if it has all the normal documentation regardless of the need for a VIC).
Just to reiterate, the only thing you need to do to return a category C, or D (or any) written off motorcycle to the road is repair it to a roadworthy standard.

You do not need to re-MOT the bike, though some insurers might ask you to do it, and you certainly do not need a VIC check. You can read the original reply from VOSA can be found here.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... _to_the_ro

3x Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja EVAP 50-state models. At the track they're said to be outclassed, but on the street, they reign unmatched. It's a years old claim, challenged from every direction, but always the same outcome or worse. I hear next year's challenger is going to do the trick. ;)
-- Mods: Genuine Keihin optimized for Kawasaki recommended E10 up-to 10% ethanol enhanced gasoline, Nissin caliper upgrade, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG sport-touring shield, AEM UEGO wideband digital AFR readout, éan creiche malar stripes. Not optimized to use E0 or E5 petrol.
4.9 L/100 KM or less from all three.
tangosevern
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Re: Returning an insurance write-off motorcycle to the road (UK)

Post by tangosevern »

info 10yrs olde,probably still correct,no mention that insurers will make up a sum if you should claim after another accident==As the bike was a write off,unlikely that they will reference the '£ book value' for yr,and model.

"Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit."