How is it that the wet weight of a C/E is 466 lbs, yet the F is 467?

Your general motorcycle talk forum - rides, things, places, happenings, etc,...

Moderators: RAFlyer, yorkie, tangosevern, Steve-TC1

e1_ZX-9r
Admin
Location: Blackfoot, ID: 50-state CA EVAP ZX-9R sE1.5*, sE1* (GKF), & sF1* models; * Supercruise capable

How is it that the wet weight of a C/E is 466 lbs, yet the F is 467?

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

Here's the riddle that has me wondering today.

So Sport Rider shows that the 49-state/P E's wet weight is 466 lbs. I think the C model would be the same (211 - 212 Kgs).

The C/E dry weights are 403.5 lbs/183 Kgs, so they gain 62.5 lbs in fluid weight. Consistent for the two models so far. No problems.

Something doesn't add up though when we get to the F's weights and measures or my calculations are messed up.

The 49-state F model is 6.5 lbs heavier than the C/E dry, at 410 lbs/186 Kgs, so it should be ~472.5 lbs wet. Yet it only gains 57 lbs in fluid weight, topping out at 467 lbs, one lbs more than the C/E when wet? :smt017 That means that the C, E, and F models are all approximately 466 - 467 lbs in weight wet. What?! ](*,)

I think someone screwed the F's numbers up by just carrying over C/E wet weights. Unless the F model somehow carries less fluids. And if so, which one(s) does it carry that are less? Oil? Brake fluid? Coolant? It cannot be fuel, the C/E/F tanks are all the same 19 L size.
Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja EVAP sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. It's a years old claim, challenged from every direction, but always the same outcome or worse. I hear next year's challenger is going to do the trick. ;)
-- Mods: Genuine Keihin rejetted, Nissin caliper upgrade, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG sport-touring shield, AEM UEGO wideband digital AFR readout, Evans NPG waterless coolant, éan creiche malar stripes.

Sorry if it seems that I post 10x more than everyone else. I use a PC, so posting thoughts is a snap. :smt024
tangosevern
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Re: How is it that the wet weight of a C/E is 466 lbs, yet the F is 467?

Post by tangosevern »

0.5% weight variable at the equator compared to the geographical poles ? :D
You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth.
e1_ZX-9r
Admin
Location: Blackfoot, ID: 50-state CA EVAP ZX-9R sE1.5*, sE1* (GKF), & sF1* models; * Supercruise capable

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

Does it matter what the lunar and solar orbital positions are too then?
Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja EVAP sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. It's a years old claim, challenged from every direction, but always the same outcome or worse. I hear next year's challenger is going to do the trick. ;)
-- Mods: Genuine Keihin rejetted, Nissin caliper upgrade, SuperTrapp Aluminum Racing Series exhaust (Made in USA), ZG sport-touring shield, AEM UEGO wideband digital AFR readout, Evans NPG waterless coolant, éan creiche malar stripes.

Sorry if it seems that I post 10x more than everyone else. I use a PC, so posting thoughts is a snap. :smt024
yorkie
Ninjaneer

Post by yorkie »

I'm sure the F's had heavier cranks, braced swingarm, front engine mounts, and probably a heavier exhaust can, and loads of other small beefed-up parts in the engine.
It did lose weight in the front braking area and used a smaller oil filter (204) but has now gone back to the bigger oil filter(303), lost the rear grab rail, and maybe the seats were lighter, and maybe the subframe.
Just got yourself a ZX-9R, then do yourself and your bike a favor, read this thread General Technical viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28097

Just to let people know I don't respond to farcebook messaging, so PM me here.
e1_ZX-9r
Admin

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

I read in one of the articles that the F has something like 170 different parts than it's predecessors. So yeah, it's dry weight is 6.5 lbs heavier at 410 lbs. No problem with that.

But what other wet components add up to 57 lbs gained instead of the 62.5 that the C/E gain?
Coolant capacity. Same
Fuel capacity. Same
Oil capacity. Same or similar.
Brake fluid would have to be similar, unless the front C/E Tokicos are where we're getting 5.5 lbs in DOT 4 fluid. :smt017 Holy chit! I'm glad I swapped those pigs out! :lol:

tangosevern
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by tangosevern »

e1_ZX-9r wrote: 31 Jan 2022, 20:42 Does it matter what the lunar and solar orbital positions are too then?
Yes, :lol: gravity,the pull or push of celestial bodies and if the measurement was taken above or below sea level (on Tera-firma)
The only reliable source of info would be the workshop manuals :smt023
You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth.
e1_ZX-9r
Admin

Were F models shipped with 6.0 lbs AGM batteries?

Post by e1_ZX-9r »

I'm bewildered at this point. nupid^PC Why are their so many different answers out there from 'trusted' sources? #-o

About ready to take matters into my own hands and do the measurements myself, adding up the fluid weights into the calculator, like aviators have to.
Image calculating motorcycle curb weight

Wet weight/Curb weight: This weight measurement is used to describe a motorcycle in ready-to-ride condition. It includes the weight of fuel, all necessary oil, coolant, hydraulic fluids, and battery.
:-k

DescriptionMeasurementlbsMin wet
Engine oil capacity3.8L dry, 1 US g @ 7.5/g7.55.6
Fork oil capacity< 586 ml, = 0.15 US g @ 75/g1.11.1
Fuel capacity 19 L5.019 US g @ 6.14/g30.81.0
Coolant capacity2.9 L = .766 US g @ 8.34/g6.44.8
Brake fluid? Roughly1/2 pint? @ 7.5/g0.50.5
Batterylead/acid or Lithium9.0< 2.0
Total wet items55.315.0
What else? Tools & owner's manual? Are they not part of dry weight?

Were F models shipped with 6.0 lbs AGM batteries, not lead/acid?

Dry + wets = Curb weight
403.5 + 55.3 = 459 rounded up
416 lbs CA EVAP F + 55.3 = 471 rounded down

Minimum wet weight for 1/4 miling a 49-state 410 lbs dry F model, for instance, ~425 lbs