What did you do to your Ninja today?

Your general motorcycle talk forum - rides, things, places, happenings, etc,...

Moderators: RAFlyer, yorkie, tangosevern, Steve-TC1

bobbydj
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Re: What did you do to your Ninja today?

Post by bobbydj »

What I did to my 9 today was something I really should've done months ago. I've had a pulsing on the lever for a too long now - nothing dangerous but enough to get annoying. I did spring for some new (unused, pattern part) discs for £100 off a guy on facebook end of last year, because MOT guy said lip was getting too pronounced.

Regardless, and just to say, I've long suspected the pulsing on the lever is nowt today with warped discs - but is in fact down to seized bobbins. I nipped round to my nearest garage, just outside the village, and got suitably sized nut and bolt (w/ washers) to use as a means of loosening each bobbin up (tightening it through the hole and twisting it back and forwards). I got my big bottle of isopropyl out and doused each bobbin as I worked on them and yeah, they definitely had got crudded up somewhat, and absolutely no movement could be felt on the disc moving it in any and every direction. Anyway, I did all fourteen bobbins and decided to go for a quick ride to see if the pulsing had gone.

Holy shit it was terrible!!! Felt godawful. As in dangerous. But I thought come on you bastards, stop being so f***ing awkward - I've cleaned you up all good so play nice or I'll sell the whole shebang on ebay spares or repair. A few emergency stops later and things were settling down pretty sweetly. Three miles later and wow, the feel on the lever was so, so good. Gone was the solid wood block vibe, and now there's a lovely bit of feel, and the same rock solid response after only about a half inch of lever travel. This is my c2, btw - which is on Nissins. My C1 is still on oem callipers - has a lot of lever travel, but is fine tbh (bobbins are lovely and free too). Only real problem with the C1 is the rear brake - f*** knows why it's so shite, although it has improved with use so maybe the disc itself was a bit contaminated with summert?.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day - set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
bobbydj
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by bobbydj »

Last Saturday I went to John's (Alpha Suspension, Morley in Leeds) to get a bit of a set up. In fact, he ended up just tweaking for comfort because I hadn't altered anything since my proper full set up almost exactly a year ago. Which btw cost me £40.

He didn't charge me for this tweak btw. It's just made it slightly plusher.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day - set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
LeedsRich
Privateer
Privateer

Post by LeedsRich »

I need to take mine to him.

How did you get hold of him?
rexa1100
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

clutch switch

Post by rexa1100 »

Yesterday, as I still can not ride after my opp, I removed the clutch switch and gave the contacts a good clean, and coating of vaseline, even thou It was'nt giving any problems, I also remove the sprocket cover and cleaned it, then removed the carb coolant hoses that connected to the pump, that one was easy, the connection on the engine, by the stat, was a bit more tricky, then after that I removed and cleaned the nissin front callipers, another week, and I can take it for a blast!!
bobbydj
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by bobbydj »

LeedsRich wrote: 13 May 2022, 23:33 I need to take mine to him.

How did you get hold of him?
Soz Rich, I didn't see this post.

Here's John's website -

https://alphasuspensionset-up.co.uk/

contact details listed there:

Mobile:- 0781 751 8087 Landline:- 0113 252 8199

john@alphasuspensionset-up.co.uk

I'll PM you this info just in case you don't read the thread again for a while.
LeedsRich
Privateer
Privateer

Post by LeedsRich »

Cheers bud.