Polishing exhaust

All your bike talk here

Moderators: RAFlyer, yorkie, tangosevern, Steve-TC1

rod750
Privateer
Privateer

Polishing exhaust

Post by rod750 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:13 am

Has anyone done this? As in polish the headers through to the exhaust muffler? I want to do this - I think it'd look great - but it looks a real fiddle where those primaries go into those secondaries...!

Edit: Hmmm, it seems it might be a Muzzy full system. The exhaust muffler is obviously muzzy (it says so on the side!) and I thought someone had chopped the standard pipe to get this Muzzy muffler on. The hook for the spring made me suspicious and I did get a standard muffler for it, with a bit of header on it (!) but that's double-walled and what I've got sitting on my garage floor right now is single walled and surprisingly light in weight....
Rod

Martin
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Re: Polishing exhaust

Post by Martin » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:27 am

If you do this, it's a labour of love as you will need to keep on top of it every week.
And on the 9 it means removing the belly pan and V piece every week just to clean the exhaust.
You would also need to keep moving the bottom of the rad to make room for cleaning them.
too much work for little gain IMO, unless you don't use the bike and it's kept indoors on show.

On my 9's i just painted the header pipes black with heatproof stove paint.
The Smile

He rides so fast, He rides so quick, He rides faster than a speeding bullet.
In and out of the cars he goes, over bridges down narrow roads.
In to a bend he leans his bike, over and over as the bend is so tight.
Out of the bend on the other side, He pulls away, his back wheel does slides.
The tyre then grips with such a punch, the front wheel lifts, the gears he crunch.
He gains control and speeds away, He smiles as he lives to ride another day.

Poem by Martin. 1986

tangosevern
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by tangosevern » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:07 pm

The grit type oven cleaner is good for zorst headers, costs a quid a tub made by Astonish? It's kinda oil-based so it's kinda waterproof the finish it gives will last a few months in the UK weather.
You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth.

Martin
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by Martin » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:17 pm

It's not because of the weather your be cleaning them. it's because of the heat. The header pipes are thin and will turn dark gold/brown with the heat from the engine and loose there shine.
The Smile

The tyre then grips with such a punch, the front wheel lifts, the gears he crunch.

Poem by Martin. 1986

Ukbikenut
Moto GP Rider
Moto GP Rider

Post by Ukbikenut » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:21 pm

Not done a 9R but done many others,heres one...
Hard work even with a mechanical polisher,Needs to be regularly autosoled and if you ride in winter salt..don`t bother.
Although a rag soaked in Harpic power max will bring em back up in no time.Just wear rubber gloves and dont get it on any paintwork.

rod750
Privateer
Privateer

Post by rod750 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:23 am

I'm in Australia and this bike will be a garage queen so there's not much risk of the exhaust getting salt and slush crud on it. The golden colour which goes into the headers from the heat is okay as that's how they go. I gave it a go with oven cleaner last night but that didn't do much as it seems I've got a layer of baked on something - like a sahara desert dust creme.... I wet the surface and started on it with a nylon scourer pad and it started coming away.

The only other bike I've had which I polished the exhaust on was my Laverda 750S. The picture below was how they looked after something like seven years untouched.
Edit: pictures are easy to attach here! I've added a picture of ten minutes with the nylon scourer pad on the Ginger Ninja exhaust. I"ve done the clean section you can see on the 2 and 3 primaries and the two secondaries. Getting into those nooks and crannies will be a pain. I'll see how quickly I get it down to clean natural stainless and have a think about metal polish and steel wool!
Rod

Martin
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by Martin » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:17 pm

The only other way is to get the chromed at a good platers.
The Smile

Poem by Martin. 1986

firebeast
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by firebeast » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:58 pm

Well one thing is for sure, they aren’t standard..Either way they are likely stainless mate :smt023
If these are muzzy they have altered the design at some point as I initially thought yoshi till I looked at the collars plus an old photo I have.okd muzzy was a 4/1 design , so the opposite of these ,. They don’t have any crossover balance pipes which isn’t ideal,,but they are good due to the long secondary pipe sections improving midrange drive, plus a bit of weight loss. I would try looking at Zx9r muzzy and hindle online to see if you can work out which they are. They may be micron but I doubt it having seen quite a few of their brand.
If it’s not yet had a jet kit or atleast had bigger mains and the needle height adjusted to suit , then you will be in for you spend time setting it up PROPERLY,
I have edited this post a lot after first looking on my phone without seeing the full photo ](*,)
its the fight in the dog not the dog in the fight!

D16PJM
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Post by D16PJM » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:18 pm

i have used Harpic max Plus with good results

one note you must make sure you wash it off completely and then polish to save any added corrosion

Pete

rod750
Privateer
Privateer

Post by rod750 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:44 am

firebeast wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:58 pm
Well one thing is for sure, they aren’t standard..Either way they are likely stainless mate :smt023
If these are muzzy they have altered the design at some point as I initially thought yoshi till I looked at the collars plus an old photo I have.okd muzzy was a 4/1 design , so the opposite of these ,. They don’t have any crossover balance pipes which isn’t ideal,,but they are good due to the long secondary pipe sections improving midrange drive, plus a bit of weight loss. I would try looking at Zx9r muzzy and hindle online to see if you can work out which they are. They may be micron but I doubt it having seen quite a few of their brand.
If it’s not yet had a jet kit or atleast had bigger mains and the needle height adjusted to suit , then you will be in for you spend time setting it up PROPERLY,
I have edited this post a lot after first looking on my phone without seeing the full photo ](*,)
The muffler has a Muzzy badge on it and when I realized it's not got the standard headers I assumed they'd be Muzzy and found some pictures and they look the same (such as this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/98-99-KAWASAKI ... 1981949479). They're quite light. The carbs have been rejetted - 162 and 158 mains and the needle has got what look like ~1mm shims. I did more cleaning last night (after I took that pic) and took more of that crud off. I then gave some Mothers mag wheel polish a go on those two cleaned 2 and 3 primaries, in the same spots as the cleaned areas in my pic in previous post, with the nylon scourer and they cleaned and brightened the surface without polishing.
Rod

firebeast
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by firebeast » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:47 pm

Defo muzzy then
They are a newer design than I remember, but that's a good thing. Check your ignition rotor, for the DIY mod then do it if it's standard and then buy the factory Pro carb kit. You won't regret it.
Whilst ordering it, Marc's factory detent arm upgrade would help the gbox :smt023

firebeast
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Post by firebeast » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:15 pm

I just looked on eBay at that set and eBay have the other style set ( shagged) for an f model , which is weird as your style are so much better. Either way you have the better set :smt023

rod750
Privateer
Privateer

Post by rod750 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:20 am

So I've been hacking away at it sporadically:
Nylon scourer pad and water got the baked on creme de Sahara off. The herder-to-reach places I hit with my new toy soda blaster. Some bits have had Mothers Mag polish with scourer. Other bits I've sanded with 400. The black stuff is very hard to get off - I got a flap wheel for my Dremel which ripped through it. I'll get a larger one for the drill. I've got a sisal disk and calico disk (along with compounds) and the sisal disk with the heavier cutting compound doesn't touch those black bits. 400 wet and dry gets through it eventually.
Rod