ZX-9R.Net - Ninja ZX9R Forum

Kawasaki ZX-9R - Most underrated sportbike
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:04 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:20 am 
Mechanic
Mechanic

Mine presents likewise. She seems to run good for her age. My mileage is much lower. Still below 50K miles. If leakage at rings is ever suspected, Yamaha makes a product called “Ring Free” I think. The purpose is to free up stuck and carbonized rings. Some put a few ounces of that in each cylinder and let it set. Some run (add) 5-6 ounces in a full tank of gas.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:02 am 
Admin

Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1*, E1, & sF1*; all CA EVAP models. * Supercruise capable
One of the ideas I had was to grind off about 1.5 mm of the top of each of the valves, then grind new valve seats, but I gave up on the concept because I'm still not clear on whether it's brittle valve oil seals or slop in the valve guides.

That's why I'm thinking I'll just use the components from the old motor as spares for the newer 34K motor, just as I have spare CVR & CVK carburetors. Cheap parts and insurance for keeping the three bikes on the road.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:59 am 
Mechanic
Mechanic

If I’m understanding you right... grinding the top where the shim sits?
Spares are always good.
I think one of the great benefits of being into older bikes is that there’s (should be?) plenty of used engines out there and probably minimal demand for those engines so hopefully reasonable prices. That’s all hypothetical. Wreckers tend to ask scary prices even for old stuff. Of course, if you keep your eyes open over the time, you can come across some pretty great deals on parts. But you have to grab up that stuff before true need presents. And that’s a gamble cause “true need” may never present! Needless to say, I’ve got a lot of spares that probably won’t ever get used!