zx-9r.net

Welcome to the ZX-9R Network
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: another "n00b" intro
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:11 am 
Privateer
Privateer

Eh up everyone. Just a quick introductory message. Bought a V reg C2 "9" last Thursday - £1500 w/ 18k on it. Panels are unmolested afaict, and seem to fit together properly (although there is a quite audible rattle at the front somewhere when passing over the more uneven kinds of road surface). Everything seems "bone stock" apart from a slightly unsightly grab rail, which I plan to replace with the much neater OEM handles (mind you, the rail is handy for getting the bike on and off a paddock stand).

El Previoso has been kind to the machine - some decent service history, and it reeked of GT85 and other preserving unguents. Oil is crystal clear amber in the sight glass. But MOTs reveal severe under-usage over the last five years or more. A few hundred a year, if that. Poor bike has been all-but laid up. But properly, at least. Fuelling is good so carbs haven't gunked up. Battery cranks strong, so that must've been trickled. Tyres are nearly ten years old - so will be looking for relevant threads in the ZX-9R.net archives over the coming weeks. Anyway, now at last the bike will be used. It should be happy at its new home, where daily use all year round is very likely (weather permitting), and where regular maintenance is a given.

Bike appears excellent mechanically - gearbox is good, finding neutral is always fairly hassle-free. All gears select properly. Pulls well all through the range, though there are some slight flat spots hither and yon - but I strongly suspect that's me expecting torque from too high a gear when the bike would really much prefer revs from a lower cog. Fair dos - I'm more than happy to adjust accordingly.

Brakes are imo not amazing to say the least. Still on the Tokicos. The rear brake is particularly puny - not a big issue, but I do like to use it as a steadying brake and as a halting brake too; the former for the trickier bits of filtering and the latter for the last few yards at red lights and junctions etc. etc. Also, anything involving slowing and/or stopping under 20mph. Just my preferred style of riding, there. However, even these modest demands seem a bit much for the bike's rear anchor. As for the front, I'd describe them as ahem "adequate". Am thus going to look into braided lines and different pads, and after that, maybe sourcing Nissin four pot callipers.

Cosmetically the bike is good - however the standard gripes of (rear) wheel paint and also swing arm (just beneath the hugger) do apply. Some slight flaking visible. Will attend to in due course, hopefully. Meantime, oily rag treatment applies.

Those rubber boots that serve as indicator stalks - yeah, those haven't survived the decades too well at all, I'm afraid. I didn't notice them at all on first close inspection of the bike. However after the first couple of hundred miles perishing cracks were visible. After one ride, I came back to find a very droopy N/S flasher - almost hanging off entirely. : - ( . At present I've bodged w/ insulation tape which whilst I'm confident will hold them where they should be, is bloody unsightly. I notice some owners have somehow attached them directly to the faring and done away with the booty stalks altogether. I hope to follow suit ASAP.

Anyway, I've been fortunate enough to have enough time to already have put over 500 miles on it. First impressions are very favourable indeed. What an excellent bike this is. Things I'm enjoying immensely -

i). Ride quality - like a magic carpet. Floaty, plush, beautifully refined. Addictive. Never want to get off the bike, and all this in spite of the fact that I naturally don't gravitate towards sporty ergos.

ii). Power - obviously! Pull the pin and it's like being on a one man Shinkansen i.e. bullet train. When I say previous bikes include a KLX250 (still owned and pressed into weekly service on local green lanes) and a W650, you'll get some idea of how incredible this comparatively massive amount of BHP feels. Only thing holding me back is fuel cost. ; - )

iii). Comfort - similar to my first point, but more general. I didn't expect to get on with this bike so well, and yet by even the third ride everything felt right. Never had clips ons and pegs so high before, but I seem to have adjusted very quickly and now anything else feels weird. When I ride on this bike I immediately think I never want to get off it. The feeling of refinement and quality is always present - I never seem to have to be too involved with the bike itself. Hard to explain. I feel very relaxed in all aspects of its riding, meaning its so much easier to concentrate on making decent observations and trying to suss out what the road ahead is going to do, and how other vehicles are going to behave. Lovely vibe.

My one niggle is what I suspect to be head race bearings. There's a definite and almost always noticeable notchyness at walking speeds and even up to 30mph. I've had four other experienced riders feel for this - half picked up on it, half didn't. I'd hoped it was a front tyre low PSI issue but 36 was in there. Tried 40 - still there. I think the notch is at 12 o'clock. The bike tracks and wanders at anything below 30 - making filtering a bit more effort than it should be. Am I right in thinking the bearings are needle rather than balls? Any and all advice here is very welcome.

Apologies for the length of this intro post. I said "quick" - it's been anything but. tl;dr - I already love this bike A LOT. Incredible.

Post subject: Re: another "n00b" intro
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:51 am 
Ninjaneer

Hi and :welcome to the forum. Nice introduction. =D>

Congratulations on finding a bike you like to ride, its why most of us here like the zx-9r.

Yes the brakes are a bit of a problem and 4 pot nissin's are a favoured option on the front. As for the rear it should lock the back wheel easily even a weak one, but thankfully the rear brake is easy to strip and clean up.

The head bearing do sound worn, and with your bike only having low mileage on it, I'd just drop the forks out and spin and re-grease the bearings up, as none of them will line back up to the same place and the worn areas will be moved and spread out instead of all being in one place. I myself have done this three times.

I have heard of the indicator rubbers perishing before, buy replacements. http://www.kawasakioriginalparts.com/ro ... country=GB

If your wondering what things you might want to be checking, follow the link in my signature lots of useful information. :smt023

Then have a quick look through the "how to section" only 3 pages to glance at the headers, but at least you'll know what information is easily available should you have a problem.

Do you ever get out to Squires Cafe? If so I might see you there sometime.

Please will forum members put their bike model letter, & 1 or 2 after their Profile Location. eg: Your Town & B1,2,3,4 C1,2 E1,2 F1,2
As all zx9's are all slightly different, and I get fed up having to ask which model & number, as year may not be accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:38 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1* & F1, both California EVAP models. * Supercruise capable
A happy new 9R owner. =D>

:welcome

Only thing I might add with regard to your quick post comments... :? Sometimes the rear brake pads will bind cockeyed when installed. See if they're in there flush with the rotor.

Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. dominating dominant sportsbike Kawasaki Yamaha suzuki Ducati Best Sport Bikes Available badass sportbike for long rides ZX-9R in action will dominate Best street bike Top 10 sport touring ZX9 long distance Ninja ZZR-600 ZZR-1100 ZZR-1200 blackbird R6 R1 CBR-600 1000 ZX6 ZX7 GSXR ZX9R zx-900 ZX10 ZX-10R ZX11 ZX12 ZX14 MPG miles per gallon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:00 pm 
Privateer
Privateer

yorkie wrote:
Do you ever get out to Squires Cafe? If so I might see you there sometime.

Hah - just got back from there a few minutes ago. Rode down from Seaways via Garrowby / Full Sutton / Pock / Allerthorpe / Bubwith / Selby / Cawood / etc. - all that jazz. Good day for it. ; - )

Will be heading out later too if I can.

So yeah - cheers guys. Good info.

Oh and another great thing about this bike that probably doesn't get many mentions - what ace mirrors it's got!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:42 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1* & F1, both California EVAP models. * Supercruise capable
:smt023 Best mirrors on a motorcycle yet. Well, the smooth engine has something to do with that too. 8)

Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. dominating dominant sportsbike Kawasaki Yamaha suzuki Ducati Best Sport Bikes Available badass sportbike for long rides ZX-9R in action will dominate Best street bike Top 10 sport touring ZX9 long distance Ninja ZZR-600 ZZR-1100 ZZR-1200 blackbird R6 R1 CBR-600 1000 ZX6 ZX7 GSXR ZX9R zx-900 ZX10 ZX-10R ZX11 ZX12 ZX14 MPG miles per gallon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:26 pm 

hi n :welcome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:02 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Welcome. Sounds like you & the bike are going to get along well. Enjoy :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:20 am 

Hello & welcome

BEX MOTO

"If you can't express it in numbers it's not engineering, it's opinion."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:40 am 
Moto GP Rider
Moto GP Rider

Welcome to the forum!

--
Mats