zx-9r.net

Welcome to the ZX-9R Network
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:12 pm 
Just arrived

Hi All,

I'm a newbie in Australia. Picked up my blue C2 yesterday. Its my 26th bike, so I'm a bit of bike slut...sorry about that. But I remember lusting after one of these when I test rode a C1 back in 1998...

Anyway, I have one now. Rode her 100kms home through summer storms - high winds, rain, hail, idiot cage drivers and squared off crappy tyres....too much fun!!. So the bike and I have some history already - :D

Fresh tyres today and then I'll set to work going over her from top to bottom - thanks to Yorkie for the fantastic stickie on getting a new zx9 up to spec!!

apologies for a crap picture, but its better than nothing, I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:24 pm 
Officer Dibble

:welcome along for the ride, from Deepest Dorzet.

If you have a ZX9, this is THE place to be !!

Need to cut that end can down a bit. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:46 pm 
V.I.P Flange

Hello there :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:13 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1* & F1, both California EVAP models. * Supercruise capable
Welcome! 26 bikes? 8)

Your C2 reminded me of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOoU2dXkwxI

Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. dominating dominant sportsbike Kawasaki Yamaha suzuki Ducati Best Sport Bikes Available badass sportbike for long rides ZX-9R in action will dominate Best street bike Top 10 sport touring ZX9 long distance Ninja ZZR-600 ZZR-1100 ZZR-1200 blackbird R6 R1 CBR-600 1000 ZX6 ZX7 GSXR ZX9R zx-900 ZX10 ZX-10R ZX11 ZX12 ZX14 MPG miles per gallon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:44 am 
Top Cat

Hi Welcome to the forum , Enjoy :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:30 am 

Hello & welcome

BEX MOTO

"If you can't express it in numbers it's not engineering, it's opinion."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:10 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Welcome ./.. your post reminded me of when I picked up mine ... shitty rain & wind plus BRAND NEW tyres .. and I hadn't been on 2 wheels for around 18 years :shock:

Pleased you made it home safe. Maybe you'll end up with the Zx9 being "the one" and therefore a keeper ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:15 pm 
Just arrived

Thanks for the welcome, everyone - much appreciated.

New tyres are wonderful aren't they !!?

I have a problem starting the bike which seems to be the starter button; but will have to look at closely over coming days. I will pop it into a new post in another section. (I've glanced at the "how to" thread on this topic and note that my switch block is different - but we'll work it out.)

Anyway, in reply to the welcoming posts: yes, the end can is standard at present. But will likely remain for a while....I gotta get other things sorted and I like the idea of keeping this one as OEM as possible...decisions, decisions....

Speaking of which, there is plenty of lever travel on the front brakes, and while I know that I will likely need to do seals on calipers and a new kit on the master cylinder, I am "nervous" about this because I have just recently had experience with Tokicos on a GSX-R. So far, this brand of caliper has sucked in terms of getting them to bleed up properly (for me, anyway)! (I switched to Nissin on my gixxer and problem solved - go figure!)) :D But hopefully this won't be necessary on this lovely looking bike.

And yeah, while I will definitely be getting other bikes, this one may be a keeper - I really do like the lines and the proportions on it...

talk soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:52 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Look for the posts on here about compatible caliper upgrades - the Nissin 4 pots are big improvement. Just done mine, much better. To help with bleeding, I use a large syringe to suck the fluid down to start the process and then finish off with pumping the lever in conventional fashion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:54 am 
Site Arse Pixie

I too have a large syringe, but i use it to pump the fluid in from the bottom because air rises so in my mind it's easier to push air uphill than downhill.

Seems to work.

1976 KH500 - Awaiting total rebuild (Aaaaaaaaargh, me fooking wallet hurts!!!!!!!!)

1980 Triumph T140E

2000 ZRX 1200R with ZX9B4 front end - Sorta like a big fat Supermoto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:04 am 
Ninjaneer

Hi and welcome to the forum nice bike :D , have a good look through the "how to section", there are only 3 pages, but once you've looked through them you'll know what other things are worth looking at on your bike, and if you can't find owt just ask, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Blue900 wrote:
I have a problem starting the bike which seems to be the starter button

You will find what your looking for in these two threads. If you can't see an image click on its place holder and the link should still open the picture up.
viewtopic.php?t=17034
viewtopic.php?t=16160

6 pot toks, great when they're working, shit when you're trying to bleed the buggers.

Please will forum members put their bike model letter, & 1 or 2 after their Profile Location. eg: Your Town & B1,2,3,4 C1,2 E1,2 F1,2
As all zx9's are all slightly different, and I get fed up having to ask which model & number, as year may not be accurate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:27 am 
Just arrived

One thing I have already noticed about this forum - SUPER bloody organised!!!!! - and helpful. Many many thanks!! :thumbsup: :cheers

Update: after fiddling about with clutch and starter buttons/switches - and noting both were a little dusty, nothing more, I think the problem is the starter button....If I press the button with a diagonally upward pressure, she starts strongly every time....there's nothing obvious in the switch, but something seems to have worn a certain way. We'll see how long it lasts.

Brakes....Tokicos....as I mentioned, I have recently finished with what can reasonably be called a SAGA, an EPIC, with these bloody things on a gixxer. So I have a set of Nissans ready for rebuild - and going on past experience and your feedback, this looks like it will be the first non standard item to be fitted to the bike.... Crikey - it only took two days to get there - and I said I was trying to avoid non-standard stuff... :D :D

There are a couple of brake pistons that did not want to budge when I was pumping them out for the rebuild....so much swearing and sweating is coming up with a pair of pliers and bicycle tube.. :bugerit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:40 am 
Ninjaneer

If your starter button is the same as a uk F2, its a really easy button to strip, and a small file or emery paper will clean the contacts up nicely. Or a small screw driver .

Please will forum members put their bike model letter, & 1 or 2 after their Profile Location. eg: Your Town & B1,2,3,4 C1,2 E1,2 F1,2
As all zx9's are all slightly different, and I get fed up having to ask which model & number, as year may not be accurate.