zx-9r.net

Welcome to the ZX-9R Network
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:21 pm 
Just arrived

Hi all,
I'm Steve and I'm coming back to riding a bike after a few years off. My last bike was a 2 year-old GPX750 so it's been a while :-). Thought I'd jump straight in at the deep end and get a zx9r. Going to look at a 2006(!) E1 tonight which I realised after some research on here and elsewhere was manufactured in 2001.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:23 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1* & F1, both California EVAP models. * Supercruise capable
Best street bike for sport riding ever made, in my estimation. Also known for its reliability and for making better riders of its owners if you're lucky enough to find one. A real jewel of a bike that can be civilized around your neighbors, but has a darker side when you want her to.

Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. dominating dominant sportsbike Kawasaki Yamaha suzuki Ducati Best Sport Bikes Available badass sportbike for long rides ZX-9R in action will dominate Best street bike Top 10 sport touring ZX9 long distance Ninja ZZR-600 ZZR-1100 ZZR-1200 blackbird R6 R1 CBR-600 1000 ZX6 ZX7 GSXR ZX9R zx-900 ZX10 ZX-10R ZX11 ZX12 ZX14 MPG miles per gallon

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:44 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

On the basis of my E1 purchase last year, he's my quick list of things to check (not exclusive, suggest you read Yorkie's guide on what to do after you buy one ... will give an idea of what else to look for).

1) Given the difficulty in getting parts for carbs and that the float valve seats can't be changed on the E1 & E2 models, make sure that the bike doesn't spurt fuel out the exhaust when first started. Make sure the fuel tap is switched on and float bowls charged before starting. If the carb valves are shot, it will likely spit small amounts of fuel out of exhaust. Also a lumpy tickeover (more so when on side stand) would suggest an issue.

2) Check fo cracks in the frame where is curves under the Kawasaki symbol on the fuel tank - wheelie merchants have been know to split the frames here (on the top of the frame, vertical cracks).

3) checks all bearings (wheels and steering headstock bearings).

4) Check all electrics, and check to see if revs drop a lot when lights switched on (usually sign of dirty connectors).

5) In terms of cold running vs. hot, given today's temperatures, it should start on full choke, cold, then allow choke to be turned down to at least half way within 5 seconds, then progressively towards off within a minute or two. My bike ticks over best once it's gone past 70 Celsius.

6) For overheating - in today's temps it should run between 82 and 85C. Fan doesn't kick in until 100C or just over.

7) Absolute must - check the gearbox - any issues getting into 3rd or dropping out of any gear after changing up, or difficulty getting from above 3rd down to 1st & then neutral would suggest gearbox issue.

8) All standard checks - tyres, chain, coolant, oil, engine & frame number matching logbook etc.

9) Breaks - if it's got Tokico 6 pot front calipers - they could be partially seized. We all enjoy this challenge and some swap out to Nissin 4 pots (much better) .. so if the front breaks aren't great - don't worry this can be sorted.

10) Blip throttle when warm - if revs drop quickly down to tickover (but no lower), and tickover is fairly stable, carbs are pretty well setup. If revs drop below tickover, it's running rich. I'd also check the oil in this instance (smell it .. in case float valves have dumped petrol into bores over time). If revs drop slowly it's running lean - can be sorted and probably a good sign for an E (means float valves are probably good).

11) If non standard exhaust and carbs aren't exactly spot on, it may be lumpy in traffic at around 1500 - 2200 RPM. Can be sorted with correct setup, no big deal, but irritating until sorted.

12) Look for signs of crash damage ... and at spacing between the clip on mounts and the front suspension adjusters .. if slightly different between each side, may have been dropped on the side where the gap is smallest (mine had this).

13). Exhaust - if brave, check exhaust header temperatures .... if some are much cooler than others, can be sign valve clearances need doing ... this is an OK DIY job to do, but just nice to know. If any service history - an obvious check is for when valve clearances last done.

I think that's all I can remember from my limited experience... hope it turns out to be a good'un and welcome :-)

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:49 pm 

Hello & welcome

BEX MOTO

"If you can't express it in numbers it's not engineering, it's opinion."

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 6:58 pm 
Just arrived

Cheers for the advice and the welcome. I took a mate who has a bit more nouse than me and I've just bought it :-). Starts and runs lovely. 12,000 miles from new. Looking forward to getting out on it. I'll work my way through the suggested checks but it really does seem in nice nick. Bit of a punt but I didn't want to miss it.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:01 pm 
Top Cat

Hi welcome to the forum , good choice of bike to come back too :!:

Enjoy the forum

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:33 pm 
Just arrived

Can't work out how to post a picture unfortunately, but how do I know for certain which model I have ? I think it's an E2 but unsure ?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:54 am 
Moto GP Rider
Moto GP Rider

Post pictures by using the "Upload attachment" under the "big white box where you type text when replying to a post". You may need to resize the images, as even mobile phones produce rather huge pictures these days. Google "IrfanView" if you are using Windows or "simple app to resize images for X" if you are using a tablet or phone (where X is whatever it is you are using).

--
Mats

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:06 pm 
Just arrived

Attachment:
Zx9rsmall.jpg
Zx9rsmall.jpg [ 86.73 KiB | Viewed 337 times ]

It has the Tokico 6-pot calipers. The rear shock is not standard but I have the original yellow one.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:01 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Looks like a tidy E2 you've got yourself :-)

Red rear shock spring suggests it's a ZX12R rear shock - which is a good upgrade. Sadly you have the 6 pot front calipers ... if you learn to hate them, swap them out for Nissin 4 pots.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:24 pm 
Just arrived

E2. Good stuff then :D . Just had a quick look at the rear shock and it's a "Hagon". Can't see a model number anywhere though.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:59 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Hagon will be sound. The cap-head adjuster at the bottom is a combined rebound/compression, works well.

Nice bike that.

Polly, we can just swap stuff like we used to, without the 'out' ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:30 pm 

hi n :welcome

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:36 am 
VIP
VIP

Hello and welcome. Nice example 8) 8)

BMW M3 0 - 2 ZX9R
Subaru Impreza 0 - 1 ZX9R

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 pm 
Site Arse Pixie

Late registered E2, i had one the same, there's a few about, all the same colour, they came from Germany apparently.

1976 KH500 - Awaiting total rebuild (Aaaaaaaaargh, me fooking wallet hurts!!!!!!!!)

1980 Triumph T140E

2000 ZRX 1200R with ZX9B4 front end - Sorta like a big fat Supermoto.