zx-9r.net

Welcome to the ZX-9R Network
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:55 pm 
Just arrived

I too am joining the crowd to swap on EFI. I picked up a full harness set including pickup, advancer and cam position sensor from an 04 Z1000. I also just confirmed that the ZX14 has the same carb spacing as the 9/Z1000, so I grabbed one and plan to adapt the Z1000 harness on there. The throttle bodies are big guys (I am guessing 42mm but will confirm), so a Power Commander will definately be required. I figure I will lose some bottom end from the big TBs, but I have a ex-AMA race engine in there with cams and huge headers plus the bike already had 42mm Mikuni flat slides. I could not use the harness from the ZX14 as the sensors could not be easily adapted. We shall see how it goes.

I have not seen anyone mention it on here, but I am guessing I can use the battery and rear brake cables from the 9 on this on the Z1000 harness. I will confirm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:39 pm 
Top Cat

8) Should be interesting , Please document {with pics } everything so this can be of use to others :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:12 am 
Mechanic
Mechanic

I think the TB's on 06-07 ZX10's are 43mm thats what the z1000 guys are using with the stock Z injectors. 00-01 zx9 is 40mm carbs if im not mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:10 pm 
Moto GP Rider
Moto GP Rider

I would have thought you could fit throttle bodies, a fuel pump, and use megasquirt to run it, will prob be able to use the stock pick up....

I'm running my 1972 beetle's ignition off it currently.

It could also fire our coils.

I'm also building a 2.1 for my bug using gsxr tbi's and MS....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:09 pm 
Just arrived

Not sure why someone would take the time to modify the ZX10R throttle bodies when the ZX14 have the correct spacing. I will have to play with injectors on mine as my engine is an ex-AMA engine. It is 3mm over with a stroker crank, so I know I will need more than the Z1000 injectors would allow. I could play with pulse width and fuel pressure, but I hate overrunning injectors. I would rather get some too big and pull them down than stress out a set of too small injectors.

On the next post, I do not want to mess with megasquirt when I can simply replace the harness with the Z1000 and get a PC5 to work with the CDI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:58 pm 
Mechanic
Mechanic

zx14 throttle bodies are looking like a good option. They are 44mm's going off of internet research. Concourse 14's are 40mm if the spacing is the same. You can see the duty cycle of the injector when running the bike with the dyno jet software. I don't think you'll need that much injector unless you plan on running a huge turbo! Hahaha

As for Megasquart I think it would be a pain in the ass to tune.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:03 pm 
Mechanic
Mechanic

Picked this up Saturday on the cheap.
It'll be good for R&D.

Post subject: Re: ZX9r fuel injection
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:20 am 
Mechanic
Mechanic

I know this is an old thread but most all of the information is on 1 place here so why spread it out. Ever since installing a carb kit on my ZX9r C1 that involved drilling holes, pulling plugs, and clipping springs it is way to sensitive on weather, fuel, wind direction, price of tea in China. I'm considering the FI because a newer bike's seating position isn't a step in the right direction. I've got no experience with bike FI though, so some questions.

Does the fuel pump recirculate the fuel back in the tank like most car system, thus I need an inlet back in to the tank?
Would I need some type of fuel manifold from pump to injectors or is that built in to the TBs?
Does a PC5 do ignition curves or is it fuel only? Does it replace the current ECU or work with it? I guess i don't understand why you have an existing ECU but need to add a PC5.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:56 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Has anyone here actually converted their 9 to EFI, and if so, do they have any accurate documentation on the performance benefits over carbs, if any?

Just wondering, because from what I've read here, it sure seems like a whole lotta work for little actual return...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:23 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

Kow Killer wrote:
Has anyone here actually converted their 9 to EFI, and if so, do they have any accurate documentation on the performance benefits over carbs, if any?

Just wondering, because from what I've read here, it sure seems like a whole lotta work for little actual return...

There is a guy on zx forums who was converting a zx7r P for fuel injection don't know how far he got, but he knows his stuff was a tech with some race team,,,,,it's just something he did because he could but I don't recall the mod being done for power gains
I have noticed a lot of cagers are converting fi for carbs because of the broader tuning spectrum which they can't get with MAP .
Switching a fi set up I don't think will work unless you have an understanding of programming

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:28 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

mxaniac wrote:
I know this is an old thread but most all of the information is on 1 place here so why spread it out. Ever since installing a carb kit on my ZX9r C1 that involved drilling holes, pulling plugs, and clipping springs it is way to sensitive on weather, fuel, wind direction, price of tea in China. I'm considering the FI because a newer bike's seating position isn't a step in the right direction. I've got no experience with bike FI though, so some questions.

Does the fuel pump recirculate the fuel back in the tank like most car system, thus I need an inlet back in to the tank?
Would I need some type of fuel manifold from pump to injectors or is that built in to the TBs?
Does a PC5 do ignition curves or is it fuel only? Does it replace the current ECU or work with it? I guess i don't understand why you have an existing ECU but need to add a PC5.

If you fitted dunojet, that's ya problem, or maybe Ivan's which I don't know lots about, can't be factory pro as Marc's kit don't clip springs etc, it replaces them and extensively tested. A genuinely very well sorted and set up carb won't play about to weather and if unless ya put crap fuel in, not that either ..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6