zx-9r.net

Welcome to the ZX-9R Network
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Gas Cap Lock DIY
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:00 pm 
Privateer
Privateer

it has become impossible to open my gas cap without the fear of breaking my key off. It came to the point where I had to start pushing down forcibly to turn the key and open it. If you are having that problem here is the fix instead of going to buy a new one.

First you have to get it open. BEFORE YOU START, If you only have one key, I advise you to go to your local locksmith and see if they can copy a motorcycle key (I got one for 10 bucks) "fresh" and unbent))

Then you unscrew the one screw on the inside of the cap, next unscrew the surrounding screws on the outside. Pull the gas cap out.

Take out the two screws on the bottom. Place them aside.
Take away the housing that was being held by these two black screws.
Next take off the circle copper looking piece with the springs under it, put them aside.
Next unscrew the next 4 copper looking screws (they are in there tight, so push down hard so you don't strip them)
Now begin to pull that housing off, but slowly noting two steel balls three springs and two copper cylinder looking pieces will fall out. Once you have that all off, you can really clean the "lock" part out. I used "Houdini" lock lubricant but you may have luck with wd40 GO CRAZY with the spray turning every now and then and try to use the key to turn it and spray into it in every single angle. When reinstalling the two springs go on the bottom side one with each ball. The balls are on the inside closer to each other. On the top is where the two copper cylinders go and on the inside of the top there should be a spring on the inside (it shouldn't come out when disassembling). Use a small flathead screwdriver to pull back the spring and place the steel ball in. While doing this, hold a finger over the spring when you pull it back so it doesn't pop out, also hold your finger down when placing the ball in to guide it and make sure it doesn't pop out as well.

Sorry for no pictures but this is pretty self explanatory. Also make sure you note where all parts came from and don't just put them anywhere, THEY'RE EXTREMELY SMALL AND EASY TO LOSE.

Post subject: Re: Gas Cap Lock DIY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:11 am 
Top Cat

Thanks for the howTo

Cheers