zx-9r.net

Welcome to the ZX-9R Network
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:28 am 
Ninjaneer

I will be showing you one removed from a Z750 S as this one is the most complex, it has pass switch, hazard button, and deselecting of running lights when Indicators or Hazards are selected.
The outer design is the same as most zx6/9/12's, but this one will have different coloured wires, plug, yours will have less inside, so easier to do.
American ones tend not to have the Pass Switch, and the UK one tend not to have the Hazard Button. But mine have it all and and then some. :D

The most common need to open one up, is because the indicator switch sometimes does not work. Horn or headlight not working.

While you could sort this out on the bike, its best to remove it, and its short loom, from the bike, strip it on a towel on a table, as there are small screws, ball bearings and springs.
Tools for the job are:-
Philips screw driver.
Small instrument screw driver.
Scotch bright.
Vaseline.
Patience and time, as its not a job to rush as its easy to break stuff.
Remember to cover everything in Vaseline to keep water and corrosion out, and make the switches smooth.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

This bit is just for those who might be interested in making one of these fit.

Indicator Switch.
I've removed the choke guide to give more freedom of the wires.
Image Image

Image Image

At this point its probably best to check the movement of the indicator switch movement arm, that its not corroded and selects from side to side and in for off position ok.
Image Image

Be very careful when opening out the locking tabs when removing the switch plate, if it snaps off you've probably trashed it.
Note one tab is larger than the other. Also the on this one there are extra contacts for the Daytime running lights, Red/blue wires.
Image Image

This one is very clean and din't need doing. If you find corrosion then clean up with scotch bright.
Then check the spring plates, coat every thing in Vaseline, this will stop further corrosion and ease switch movement.

Image Image

Hazard Switch
Image Image

If you have the Hazard Button and need to strip it be very careful when opening it up, if you break it, you've probably trashed it.
Note which way round the 3 dimpled switch plate goes in, or it probably won't work after refitting to the bike.
Take care if you open up the slider button as there are 3 springs and a small pin.
The extra wires on this one are for the day time running lights also, Blue & Red/blue.
Image Image

Headlight Main and Dip switch
Be very careful when opening this one as its easy to snap off a plastic pivot post and also the springs and ball bearings like to leap out. This one is tricky to put back together.
Image Image

Image Image

Horn Button
Not much to be done on these except scrap the surfaces and check for corrosion.
Image Image

Pass Light switch
Not much to be done on these except scrap the surfaces and check for corrosion.
Image Image

Now rebuild, note the Choke cable corner has a dimple and hole to line up, so make sure there aligned up, and don't forget a new small cable tie.

That's all. :D

Please will forum members put their bike model letter, & 1 or 2 after their Profile Location. eg: Your Town & B1,2,3,4 C1,2 E1,2 F1,2
As all zx9's are all slightly different, and I get fed up having to ask which model & number, as year may not be accurate.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:15 pm 

you had done this one before good question as to where it's gone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:18 pm 

sorry my mistake I was thinking of your adding a hazard button thread #-o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:27 pm 
Ninjaneer

Added Pass Switch pictures, and a few small edits.

Please will forum members put their bike model letter, & 1 or 2 after their Profile Location. eg: Your Town & B1,2,3,4 C1,2 E1,2 F1,2
As all zx9's are all slightly different, and I get fed up having to ask which model & number, as year may not be accurate.