zx-9r.net

Welcome to the ZX-9R Network
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:52 am 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1* & F1, both California EVAP models. * Supercruise capable
Looking back to the day I almost walked away from buying this bike and the circumstances that had to take place for me to even make an offer on a project bike, causes me to sit back and marvel. It's just one of those things you don't give much emphasis to until you think about all that has happened since. All of what I would have missed and all the things I would not have learned without this motorcycle. It had something it wanted to whisper into my ear. It had something to teach me about motorcycling, about riding, about maturing as a rider, and about testing my limits.

My ZX-9R E1 the day I parked her for the first time in my garage. July 2008. Odometer: 6,700 miles

I've often said to riders and non-riders alike, it was a fateful coincidence, the fact that the owner's friend, who was acting as the seller, insisted I take the bike for a second test ride when I was already convinced I didn't want this motorcycle. The fact that the bike's operation, burning through 2 y.o. fuel in the carburetors, cleared up and I recognized that it was just neglected. That even though the bike didn't run as well as I thought it should for a bike with less than 7K miles on it, with ZX-9R.Net's help, I found how to tame her ills and turn her into a civilized sport-touring motorcycle that yearned to show its tail to other bikes. Had I chosen any other bike model, I'm sure there would have been one of three outcomes:

1) I would have carelessly killed myself on it, never having learned how to ride with the bike in cooperative fashion.
2) I would have still owned some type of sportbike or touring bike, but the ownership would have been adversarial.
3) or I'd have quickly grown bored with motorcycles that just didn't fit me or my riding style and hung up my helmet for good.

Instead, I gave in to the young kid whose wife was about due to give birth and his sob story on that hot summer afternoon in an apartment complex parking lot. I sucked it up, figuring I drove across two states to get there, I might as well be certain I hate this bike that I was lied to about. And because I did, well, I'll let her show you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm15_YA7CXU

Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. dominating dominant sportsbike Kawasaki Yamaha suzuki Ducati Best Sport Bikes Available badass sportbike for long rides ZX-9R in action will dominate Best street bike Top 10 sport touring ZX9 long distance Ninja ZZR-600 ZZR-1100 ZZR-1200 blackbird R6 R1 CBR-600 1000 ZX6 ZX7 GSXR ZX9R zx-900 ZX10 ZX-10R ZX11 ZX12 ZX14 MPG miles per gallon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 am 
Moto GP Rider
Moto GP Rider

There is of course a fourth option: You would have owned a different model of bike, and been just as happy. You just can't say that without actually going back in time and "trying that option". I'm absolutely certain that option IS possible. But it is typical for humans to motivate to themselves why they have made the "right choice" (I'm definitely included in that group - I can explain at length why I like my ZX-9R, my camera, my car, my GSX-R, my big aquarium, my smaller aquariums, my computer, why I rent the house I'm in, etc, etc).

I'm not saying you've mad a "wrong choice", I'm just suggesting there may be more than one choice that results in "I'm happy with this".

--
Mats

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:54 am 
Ninjaneer

Very nice. =D> =D> Any of your mates ridden it and what did they think?

Please will forum members put their bike model letter, & 1 or 2 after their Profile Location. eg: Your Town & B1,2,3,4 C1,2 E1,2 F1,2
As all zx9's are all slightly different, and I get fed up having to ask which model & number, as year may not be accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:20 pm 
WSB Rider
WSB Rider

That was a good watch ,your road mendy people they have OCD ? putting tar paint over cracks.
Thanks for pissing us off I'm now going to piss off some non servtude civilkunty civil servant regarding the pot holes that are still a problem with their bullshit 20mph zones

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:18 pm 
Ninja Guru
Ninja Guru

Location: Blackfoot, ID: ZX-9R sE1* & F1, both California EVAP models. * Supercruise capable
MatsP, I'd say that would be a reasonable 4th, but the problem with that would have been any of my backup choices at the time, a ZZR-1200, a ZX-6R or GSXR-1000. I would have died with the 1000, plus the bike doesn't fit. Neither does the 6R and it's underpowered for altitude riding. Both would also have resulted in my riding style evolving very differently, as the 9R is heavier and more stable, great for hanging off of. The ZZR would have been nice for long distances, but that gets boring after a while, as I've ridden my buddy's ZZR in the corners and you just cannot hang off that bike without looking like you're trying too hard. I could not have grown in experience with that bike either.

And I've ridden my fair share of other bikes before and after the 9R. None of them fit me. The 9R will stomp the ZZR on range and playtime. The 6R should be better for cornering, but sucks at distance riding or straights. The Zuk is short range as well, like all other 1K sportbikes, better for trackdays than street and on the street the 9R is like cream, it rises to the top. I'm not just saying that to impress you. I'm intolerant of other bikes and love what Kawasaki put together into this package. This bike, the ZX-9R, fits me and what I like to do and how I like to do it.

As for what others think of my 9R after swapping bikes, I'd say it's a mixed bag, but understandably. They don't see what I see and they don't ride the way I do. More than a few who've swapped from their same generation bikes have loved the 9R and said it was fun and responsive. In fact, one of them who was near comatose riding their bike one time on a long trip, I offered to trade bikes with just so we could get home at a speed higher than 45 MPH; he was done. Moments later I see my bike shooting down the road at over 100 MPH and I gave chase after Mr. Hyde. We didn't make it 10 miles before we were nearly arrested, a costly friendly gesture on my behalf.

For most of the others, they appreciate the 9R as my bike, but are stereotypical motorcyclists in their beliefs and wants when it comes to bikes, favoring newer flashier FI bikes. They favor the looks they get from owning other bikes. To them, it's more about the flash than any intrinsic value that comes from riding a bike they truly love. I'd agree too for them. That's what they need. The 9R wouldn't fit them.

Which brings the topic full circle back to MatsP's 4th option. If it were true that I'd have found another bike and have loved it too, it hasn't been true of every other rider that I know of, less one. That one rider sees what I see and owns a bike he loves to ride just as much and won't part with. Yes, he also owns a newer flashier bike too, but he often rides his older bike, like mine, because he loves riding the older, not so flashy bike. All the others I've ridden with or know of, move through bikes like shoes or quit riding entirely. The appearance is that of what I've already experienced first hand. Those other bikes are not a fit for me and apparently not a fit for them either.

Kawasaki ZX-9R Ninja sE1. At the track she's said to be outclassed, but on the street, she reigns unmatched. dominating dominant sportsbike Kawasaki Yamaha suzuki Ducati Best Sport Bikes Available badass sportbike for long rides ZX-9R in action will dominate Best street bike Top 10 sport touring ZX9 long distance Ninja ZZR-600 ZZR-1100 ZZR-1200 blackbird R6 R1 CBR-600 1000 ZX6 ZX7 GSXR ZX9R zx-900 ZX10 ZX-10R ZX11 ZX12 ZX14 MPG miles per gallon