zx-9r.net Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Calendar
Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
2002 ZX12R charging problem

Post 2002 ZX12R charging problem  
Hi Folks, I'm a new member, but I've read a lot of posts about ZX12R charging issues.  First of all, I have 2002 ZX12R, I'm the original owner, never dropped, bike has 37K miles.  I have a charging problem and I've done a number of things.
1) The charging problem started out a bit sporadic...the battery wasn't charging, then it was.  One day, my headlights wouldn't go on.  That's when I discovered that info about the headlight relay lead coming off a stator wire.  I connected the headlight relay lead to a different stator wire (there are 3) and that problem was solved. However, soon after, my battery stopped charging altogether.

2) I removed my oil filled stator-rectifier connector and hard soldered the connections.

3) I replaced my stator with a Rick's stator.  At 5K RPM the Rick's stator is putting out 80V AC between any 2 of the outputs.

4) When I replaced my stator, my headlights didn't go on....so I connected the headlight relay lead to a different one of the three wires, then they worked.

5) I replaced my rectifier with an electrosport rectifier.  After replacing the rectifier, I had to redo the soldering job between the stator and rectifier.  All 3 wires should be the same there, however when I was done, my headlights didn't go on, so I connected the headlight relay wire to a different one of the three wires, then they worked.

6) With a new stator, a new rectifier, hard wired together...it still matters which wire the headlight relay wire is connected to in order for the headlights to go on.  This SUGGESTS to me that my problem has not been solved and is downstream of the rectifier.

7) My battery will charge fine with a external charger, but while the bike is running, the voltage across the battery is 12.8 - 13.3 and does not increase with RPMs.  My battery is not charging.

Cool I don't have a wiring diagram and I don't know what kind of outputs should be coming from the rectifier output wires....also I don't know where those rectifier output wires go once they disappear into the wiring harness.

9) I took my bike to the dealer and said Fix it.  The mechanic there told me a need a new stator,  then he told me I need a new rectifier....they have had my bike for 3 weeks, and still haven't fixed it, and now he says I need a new stator again.  I called Ricks and Electrosport.  Electrosport says if the diode test is good, the rectifier is good.  Ricks says that 80V AC is the spec, and the stator produces more amps than the oem, (the oem spec is 85-120 supposedly) so the overall power going to the rectifier is equivalent.

10) I think that headlight relay wire is telling me something....why does it matter which lead the headlight relay wire is attached to IF exactly 80V AC is coming off all 3 leads?  It must mean that something downstream of the stator is restricting electrical flow....and since the stock and the replacement rectifiers gave the same phenomenon, the problem must be downstream of the rectifier, too....

11)  HELP!

thanks,

...Lippy!

You need to fix the junction box headlights trip diode, chances are it or the relay is fooked. How to check and pictures here. http://www.bikersoracle.com/central/forum/showthread.php?t=7200

Post zx12R charging problem  
Hmmmm, I don't understand how the junction box is related to whether or not my battery is charging....but I am SO open to suggestions.  Is there a precedence for a "trip diode" or headlight relay to prevent the battery from charging?

Or do I have 2 separate problems?  Is the headlight issue separate from the charging issue?  My number one concern is to get the charging system working.  The mechanic updated me today and claims that there is a white wire coming from the rectifier which is the ONLY wire responsible for making sure the battery is charging...and that wire is not sending out the volts....  Is that true?  That would mean that my brand new rectifier doesn't work...  I've already played "parts changer", now I wish I had a mechanic that I could trust, because this guy (at a kawi dealership no less) seems sketchy.

thanks,

...Lippy!

Ok, the headlight trip relay diode going short circuit can cause all sorts of problems for you. mainly feeding 12 volts back into the charging system so reducing the regulators out put power, which is trying to run all your electrics and charge the battery.

The regulator has 2 x 12 volt outputs, 2 White/red wires feeding the battery, and one brown Voltage Monitoring wire into the ignition on system.  All 3 become connected together when the ignition is switched on. Kawasaki do it this way just to help get round the possibility of bad contacts in the ignition switch and its loom plug. Good idea I think.

It does not matter which yellow wire is used for tripping the headlights on relay, but if its diode is shorted it will become hit or miss whether it will work or not.

The Junction box is a common item between lots of kawasakis over your side of the pond, so ebay another and just just put the bigger fuses in if your bike has 2 fans.

Last edited by yorkie on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total

Post ZX12R charging headlight trip diode  
OK, awesome, THANK YOU for the advice, I am going to give it a try and will get back to you!

thanks,

...Lippy!

Post ZX12R charging problem solved headlight on diode  
Yorkie, my god man, THANK YOU SO much!!!!!  Listen, do you ever cross the pond?  I am buying the pints.  Or if you need anything from here let me know, I will mail it to you.  I am so happy that my bike is fixed!

You are THE man!

...Lippy!

Glad to hear its fixed, did you replace the diode or the junction box? and how do you know its fixed? what did the charging voltage go up to?

Never been to San Francisco is that where the giant red woods are?

Please make a small Donation to aid with mens health via my Movember page
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Yorkie is , indeed, the god of electrical witchery (along with shims, shocks and anything that can be said amusingly in a northern comedy accent)
  Applause  Applause  Applause  Applause  Applause

1976 KH500 - Awaiting total rebuild (Aaaaaaaaargh, me fooking wallet hurts!!!!!!!!)

1980 Triumph T140E

2000 ZRX 1200R with ZX9B4 front end - Sorta like a big fat Supermoto.

Well done Yorkie Applause  Applause  Applause  Applause

Post ZX12R charging problem resolved  
Hi Yorkie, well I had the bike at the dealership and told the mechanic what you said.  I got a call telling me that it was fixed.  But, in reality all they did was confirm the diagnosis that the diode was short circuited.  So, I still need to actually carry out the fix.

I'm waiting to hear what they want to charge me, but I will probably rent a trailer, go pick up the bike and buy a junction box off Ebay.  Do you know what year junction boxes will work?  There are a couple 2002's for sale right now...there's also some from 2003.

thanks,

...Lippy!

Post and if you do visit  
We could go for a ride.  I have a 2002 Harley V-Rod, a 2008 CBR  1000RR, and the 2002 ZX12R.  Your choice.  There are some very fun rides through the redwoods.

OK, internals are the same, the zx12 ones will probably have the 2 15amp fuse's fitted hence the different part number, the second bunch will need your old 15amp ones swapping into it, along with the fuse cover, then change the the part number to 1106 to make it right.

26021-1106
Year    Make     Model    
2002    Kawasaki    ZX-12R    
2003    Kawasaki    ZX-12R    
2004    Kawasaki    ZX-12R    
2005    Kawasaki    ZX-12R    

26021-1096
Year    Make     Model.    
1995    Kawasaki    GPZ 1100
1996    Kawasaki    GPZ 1100
1996    Kawasaki    GPZ 1100 ABS
1997    Kawasaki    GPZ 1100

1996    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7RR
1996    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7R
1997    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7RR    
1997    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7R
1998    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7R
1999    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7R    
2000    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7R
2000    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7R
2001    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7R
2002    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7R
2003    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-7R

1998    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-9R    
1999    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-9R    
2000    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-9R
2001    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-9R
2002    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-9R
2003    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-9R

1998    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-6R    
1999    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-6R
2000    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-6R    
2001    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-6R
2002    Kawasaki    Ninja ZX-6R

1999    Kawasaki    ZRX1100
2000    Kawasaki    ZRX1100
2001    Kawasaki    ZRX1200R (ZR1200-A1)
2002    Kawasaki    ZRX1200R    
2003    Kawasaki    ZRX1200R
2004    Kawasaki    ZRX1200R
2005    Kawasaki    ZRX1200R

2000    Kawasaki    Vulcan 800 Drifter    
2000    Kawasaki    Vulcan 800 Drifter
2001    Kawasaki    Vulcan 800 Drifter    
2002    Kawasaki    Vulcan 800 Drifter    
2003    Kawasaki    Vulcan 800 Drifter    
2004    Kawasaki    Vulcan 800 Drifter    
2005    Kawasaki    Vulcan 800 Drifter    

1999    Kawasaki    Vulcan 1500 Drifter    
2000    Kawasaki    Vulcan 1500 Drifter    
2000    Kawasaki    Vulcan 1500 Nomad Fi    
2000    Kawasaki    Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi
2001    Kawasaki    Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi    

2000    Kawasaki    W650
2001    Kawasaki    W650    

2005    Kawasaki    ZZR600    
2006    Kawasaki    ZZR600    
2007    Kawasaki    ZZR600    
2008    Kawasaki    ZZR600

Last edited by yorkie on Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Re: and if you do visit  
Lippy wrote:
We could go for a ride.  I have a 2002 Harley V-Rod, a 2008 CBR  1000RR, and the 2002 ZX12R.  Your choice.  There are some very fun rides through the redwoods.

That sound awsome, but I think it will be some time before I'm back visiting the States as I was only in Vagas in January, and probably 15 years earlier in Alaska.   big grin

Reply to topic Page 1 of 1